Friday, June 11, 2010

horse farts


Apparently a well-known phenomenon among the horsey-folks' world is the situation in which a horse farts suddenly and spooks itself, causing it to break out into a startled canter across the field or even to knock its unwary rider off its back.

According to my daughter, this is a relatively rare occurrence, as most horses are equipped with, as she maturely put it, "fairly relaxed" sphincters. (As you can probably tell, my eleven-year old daughter has always been way more mature than I. She would never laugh at a fart joke.

Nonetheless, when, as a rider, you hear that sudden tooting sound, beware. The horse will have no idea where the sound is coming from, assume Armageddon is nigh, and throw you right off before merrily cantering off to escape the tongues of flame it expects to begin shooting out of the clouds.

Or maybe out of its....!

Best of all, I'm not the only person who thinks this is a fascinating subject! Check these out:

http://www.horseadvice.com/horse/messages/3/66358.html

2 comments:

Yara said...

Ha ha! Yeah, I think the horses do it on purpose to give them a little extra oomph.

critbritlit said...

Yep--although I think a horse is happy with any excuse for farting! I especially like the way it looks like this fart-spirit is coming out of the horse after this baby!