Thursday, June 10, 2010

gah

Wow....I'm only on page 2 of Lev Grossman's The Magicians and yet already I'm so repulsed I don't think I'll be able to go back. Not that the book is or vulgar or gross or anything like that, it's just so completely repugnant to me. Here's one of the first lines: "Everybody knew what everybody else was going to say before they said it. Everybody who was going to sleep with anybody else had already done it. Julia--pale, freckled, dreamy Julia, who played oboe and knew even more physics than he did--was never going to sleep with Quentin."

Ugh. Why do I find this so awful? For one thing there's the old gender stereotype about what adolescent boys are thinking at any given time: sorry, but we've already been there and read all that at least five hundred times in the last year alone. Can't you think of anything a little less tired? Pulling out that old cliche in the first paragraph--let alone the first page--is already a very, very bad sign.

And then there are all the preciously integrated quotes and literary references laboriously worked into the seams. That's a tad wearisome, too, plus such tricks rattle my "PRETENTIOUS!!!" button, which really, of all my buttons, is the single one you shouldn't mess with, because I'm so completely unforgiving once I decide someone is a pretentious twit.

Which, sadly, seems to have just happened.

I'm so disappointed. I waited a long time for this book to come out in paperback. I even pre-ordered it on Amazon.

Now that I think on it, it's the pre-order that jinxed it. I should never have done that. It just raises the sense of expectation way too much.

What was I thinking?

2 comments:

Lucia said...

Thanks for the review, though :-)

Someone was just asking me about that book at Borders a couple days ago, and all I could say was that it seemed to be a bestseller.

critbritlit said...

I'll give it another chance, I think, once I run out of more tempting options (like Cosmo and Vogue!)....but I sure had high hopes for that one. I'm totally open to suggestions/recommendations, though! Does anyone have anything to suggest for this tough critic?!