Wednesday, September 13, 2006

dress codes

I was thinking today about decorum....about how there's something of an expectation for how you're supposed to act and dress in the classroom. I've always wondered about this, because I see an awful lot of skin wandering around outside on our campus. Do those girls wear those outfits to class, too? I saw one woman wearing a halter top cut right below the breasts, accompanied by a hipster mini that ended maybe an inch below the crotch line. She might as well have been wearing a bikini. It looked like a bikini, except it was denim and had brass studs and a little flouncy skirt thing on it.

And so I wondered, what *if* someone decided to wear a string bikini to class one day? Is there any dress code for the campus that says they can't?

I was curious enough about this to look it up in the student handbook, and apparently there is no such rule. So if you want to, I guess you can go ahead and wear that bikini to class. I expect it will be like most things: it will be assumed that people will arrived dressed until someday someone doesn't, and then a rule will be created that says you really shouldn't do that.

I've only experienced one disrobing incident in the classroom, and it was, curiously enough, a guy. I guess he decided he was too hot. Off came his shirt. So there he was, sitting right smack in the middle of the classroom, shirtless, and I was (for once!) completely at a loss for words. I had no idea what to say. I had no idea whether I'd even be justified in saying anything. Neither did any of the students surrounding him. They all leaned slightly away from him and politely averted their eyes. It was just so strange.

So I stammered through a very disoriented lecture, and decided in the future to make a special addendum to my syllabi: "I DON'T WANT TO SEE ANY NIPPLES IN THE CLASSROOM!"

I mean, really.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've sat in a class where the professor announced that if you wore skirts shorter than knee-length you should sit at least in the third row. A string bikini though? If they are legal to wear at school there should at least be size restrictions as to who can wear them...maybe gender restrictions too.

Anonymous said...

As I write this, my string bikini is being washed and prepped. Sure, I am a hefty and hairy male, but my buns look stunning in the bright light of day. For the sake of my manhood, let us all hope that it is not a cold afternoon.

As for the show of skin, why are the women on campus being so puritanical. Ldies, men cannot objectify you as well if you do not bare as much as possible. Hip-hugging jeans or mini-skirts are 'half-assed' attempts. Thongs and pasties show earnest expression. Remember, only by appearing as trampy as possible can you attract the best from the male gene pool, civilized gents who will respect you for your intellect and witty circumlocution. Sure, age will eventually rob you of your 'ass'ets. Now is not the time to think about that, though. Skip cultivating an inner sense of self-worth, since that will only be needed years from now. Prance, show, flaunt. Ask any former model; they are all so happy after the limelight has faded into darkness. Only by leaving nothing to a man's imagination will you be accepted for who you are.
Now, if you'll exuse me, I need to wax.

Richard Shea