Monday, September 25, 2006

me and don quixote

Apparently Cervantes and I share the same birthday. This makes me feel much more important than it should. I discovered this little commonality while researching my daughter's required info for her stint as "student standout" this week. The teacher wanted all sorts of personal information on her chart, like my maiden name and social security number. I'm not a little suspicious.

But the shared birthdays thing was kind of fun. My daughter doesn't share a birthday with anyone particularly interesting--unless you count Wynonna Judd, which I don't--but many interesting people have died on her birthday, including Joan of Arc and Christopher Marlowe. I'm not sure what to make of that. Anyway, since we weren't hitting too many nuggets on her stats, we turned to mine, which not only gets Cervantes--whom I appreciate especially for the fact that he waited so long in his life before writing Don Quixote--but also Horatio Nelson, who was always another big favorite of mine. That's the guy who defeated Napoleon at the Battle of Trafalgar, though not before dying heroically during the engagement.

Cool.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

doesnt cervantes share his b-day with shakespeare.... or is their deaths.... one of two are the same...

i share my b-day with cheech marin... lucky me!