Wednesday, June 09, 2010

the romantic pragmatist

Part of me is always going to be this romantic pragmatist who says, there's a reason for this--there's a reason this thing happened to me. I know it's a bit irrational, but I don't care. I may not know what it is right now, or maybe even ever, but in the really big scheme of things, there's probably a purpose for my brain tumor, one ultimately beneficial to someone.

And since every someone is part of humanity, that's enough. Maybe my treatments will affect someone else's. Maybe--yes, it's remote, but this is why I write!--my experiences will be of use to someone else trying to get through similarly hard times. Maybe just reading my blog here will simply improve someone else's day a little bit--lighten their perspective, make them smile.

All of those on their own are worthy reasons for being, I think.

And, of course, there's always the off-chance that I'll have a much nicer head of hair once this all passes. Stranger things have happened!

Heck--they've happened to me.

1 comment:

Bangormadejosiejo said...

I've been struggling with recovery from a riots illness for the past year and I can't help but acknowledge the positive side to the terrible experience I have had. I've had the time away from the overwhelming pressure of working and responsibilities and the chance to look at my life in detail. I have a heightened sense of self and connection to the world and a new awareness of what is good for me. I hope I can carry this through when I take on the world of work.
I appreciate your views, I feel a strong connection!
You have benefitted me right here, right now! Take care and be gentle with yourself and your good heart.
Joanne