Monday, June 14, 2010

Do am I the only person who thinks Abby Sunderland should have to pay back the costs of her "rescue"? I use the italics to indicate my contempt for someone so ready and willing to make the world not only stand still for her latest stupid idea, but to pay the bill on top of it. I mean, come on? This was self-imposed and self-motivated from the get-go. I'm not sure we have any business romanticizing such a selfish, costly and narcissistic enterprise any further.

And frankly she's lucky it worked out for her. Kids set out every day on their surfboards, their tiny boats, and the their whatevers, they get into trouble and they never return.

We don't hear about those poor kids. But I'll tell you what: we're not doing anyone any favors by romanticizing this event.

I think this girl who so cavalierly believes that the entire world should stop for her should be made to pay every dime back. And if she tries to capitalize on her ugly trick (as she surely will, in the form of TV appearances, books, and the like), a judge should put an injunction on her that forces her to to donate all proceeds to charity, maybe to finance all the groups that will have to mop up after the next crop of copy-cats who are even right now thinking: hey, why didn't I think of that?

What a stupid, irresponsible girl. People could die because of her.

No comments: