Monday, September 04, 2006

crocodile hunter


I've been sad all day about the death of Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter. I don't know why his death seemed so shocking to me. Yes, he chose a risky career; yes, I suppose this should have been expected. But I didn't expect it at all. I think it was the attitude he had of not being afraid of life--of taking risks if it's for what you love. You had to really admire him for his fearlessness. And what was shocking was having nature snap back and say, "Oh no no no--you should be afraid."

It's a sad and scary message.

1 comment:

Jon said...

So I guess if you live by the croc, you die by the croc. I was also extremely bummed all morning mostly because I also thought that someone with such drive and vision should be given more time than that.

And by a stingray no less -- those floating pieces of crap are only supposed to hit you if you step on them. Though his shows do suggest he was probably trying to dress it up like a zebra-painted donkey and ride it.

In any case, he seemed like an awfully nice guy.