Sunday, February 17, 2008

loud obnoxious music is good for you

A couple of years ago I had a friend who was suffering from a shrieking head pain caused by neuralgia. I'd never heard of this before, but apparently it's a nerve disorder that can be caused by various other medical factors, and it's incredibly hard to break up the pain. But heavy, vibrating music--particularly industrial music--does the trick. The doctor told her that the heavy pulsation/vibration interrupted whatever signal it was that was causing the firing.

I found this interesting, because a little-known fact about this particular classical-musically trained, staid medieval professor is that she is rather fond of industrial music. She has a healthy collection of the stuff, too, and was only too happy to oblige her ailing friend by compiling her a CD. And if she is going to listen to industrial, she prefers it at maximum volume, loud enough to make her skull buzz (this is optimally achieved inside an enclosed car).

It's what you might call a "whole body experience."

I have always been at a loss to explain a pleasure that seems so at odds with everything else about me. But now it turns out there are sound medical reasons for it. Loud music in general apparently causes a surge in the neurotransmitters, causing pleasure.

Sadly, I can find no online links that might provide some sort of medical verification for my claims. You'll just have to take my word for it.

3 comments:

JustKristin said...

You are not at all alone, but I prefer my loud music to be "sing-alongable".

Mr. McNamara said...

Cough cough... perhaps you should give a credible mention to the someone who GAVE you that heavy music to pass on to others...

I will admit though... that I've never heard of loud music being able to cure that kind of thing. All it does for me is getting me goin and suck all the fury out so I don't snap and beat the crap out of someone when I get irritated (sadly... my personality is extremely neurotic). But I'll have to dig more into this industrial music notion and see if it works... Skinny Puppy hasn't worked for me yet so maybe KFMDM or Frontline Assembly will...

Unknown said...

Thanks for the information on music and health.

We recently wrote an article on how music is good for your health at Brain Blogger. A study in "Critical Care Medicine" evaluated stress levels after patient had listened to some piano sonatas. The results were amazing, but one composer in particular showed the most results when their music was played; Mozart.

We would like to read your comments on our article. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Kelly