Thursday, August 03, 2006

why I love Macs

My daughter and I have just moved into our new home, and of course the first order of business was setting up the internet.

My first shock came when I learned that this particular housing development doesn't get DSL. No DSL?!! Sheesh! Well, why bother getting a phone line at all?

So that left cable. We ended up with Adelphia. Or at least, I called Adelphia. Time Warner was the company that actually ended up coming out. It seems that in the week since ordering the service and getting it installed there was a major buy-out...

But let me not digress. Anyway, I was sitting there awaiting the Adelphia--oops, I mean Time Warner--guy, and I had to boot up the computer so that he could do whatever it was he thought he needed to do to it, and...

My Mac chirped, "Your trusted networks are not available! Want to join the Smiths instead?"

Why, yes, since you mention it. I would, in fact, love to join the Smiths. For free.

And hence began my internet dilemma. Could I really poach free internet services so blatantly? I mean, there was my computer, practically inviting me to the party. The thought crossed my mind: "Cancel the cable guy! Cancel him now!"

Just to be sure, I took it upstairs and tried it up there. The Smiths were gone, but now the Browns were offering me a free ride instead. There was my home page, my favorite sites, my blog.....

At that point the cable guy knocked, and my indecision was eagerly wrested from me. They were offering an awfully low price for me to have my very own cable network, after all. Who could legitimately resist?

Resist, indeed?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new home!
My network's called Hello_Dolly and yes she's locked down. I thought it over, should I or shouldn't I and then I realized how easy it is to do and said why not. Cool though too is streaming ITunes Music...too cool.

Jon said...

A new place, ehhh? Are we to assume there will be debauchery and bacchanalian adventures to be had come the end of next semester? Next winter or summer work good for me.